The Benton Alewife Pageant will probably be held from midday to four p.m. Saturday, Might 18, on the Benton City Workplace, 1279 Clinton Ave., Benton, with actions on the boat launch, dam and college. A baked bean supper is deliberate for four:30 p.m. at Benton Falls Church on Falls Highway in Waterville.
Previous to the occasion, Benton Elementary Faculty will distribute paper fish to college students to paint; these will probably be held on string beneath the tent in the course of the competition.
Pageant occasions embody:
• Go to Benton Dam to witness the fish ladder and Alewife harvest up shut;
• Kids’s actions will embody an interactive theater piece to display the migration course of on the river, Fish Toss bean bag recreation, “Fish sticks” wooden burning demonstration with Steve Valleau, and paper fish coloring desk;
• Audio system from Maine Rivers and Sebasticook Land Belief;
• Instructional cubicles will embody eagle/raptor specialist Erynn Name, Biodiversity Analysis Institute, Benton historical past photographs and extra; and
• Meals choices similar to smoked alewives with Dave Dutton, and Two Maine Guys Meals Truck.
Based on the discharge, within the Gulf of Maine small fish often known as alewives are on the brink of run up the Kennebec and into the Sebasticook. Every spring tens of millions of alewives take this journey reaching Benton Falls Dam across the first week of Might. The youngest are three years previous and are returning for the primary time to the place the place they have been born, one of many lakes and ponds of the Sebasticook Watershed. Alewives have been harvested at Benton Falls for greater than 200 years, for meals and for bait. The Benton Alewife Pageant celebrates the run and the harvest of those fish with a day stuffed with household pleasant actions.
For extra data, contact Benton City Workplace at 453-7191 or [email protected].
Avon’s Rogers earns recognition at Coastal Carolina College
Forts and Fights program set for Might 21 in Hallowell